Dr. Joerg Widmer
Research Professor and Research Director
IMDEA Networks Institute
Avenida del Mar Mediterraneo, 22
28918 Leganes (Madrid)
Phone: +34 91 481 6994
Fax: +34 91 481 6965
Joerg Widmer is Research Director as well as Research Professor at IMDEA Networks in Madrid, Spain. His research focuses on wireless networks, ranging from extremely high frequency millimeter-wave communication and MAC layer design to mobile network architectures. From 2005 to 2010, he was manager of the Ubiquitous Networking Research Group at DOCOMO Euro-Labs in Munich, Germany, leading several projects in the area of mobile and cellular networks. Before, he worked as post-doctoral researcher at EPFL, Switzerland on ultra-wide band communication and network coding. He was a visiting researcher at the International Computer Science Institute in Berkeley, USA, University College London, UK, and TU Darmstadt, Germany. Joerg Widmer authored more than 150 conference and journal papers and three IETF RFCs, and holds 13 patents. He serves on the editorial board of IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, Elsevier Computer Networks and the program committees of several major conferences. He was awarded an ERC consolidator grant, the Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Research Award of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, a Mercator Fellowship of the German Research Foundation, a Spanish Ramon y Cajal grant, as well as nine best paper awards. He is Fellow of the IEEE and Distinguished Member of the ACM.
Google scholar profile
List of all publications
- I currently have an open postdoc position in millimeter-wave networking. Depending on the candidate’s skills, the post-doctoral researcher will work on millimeter-wave networking aspects (large scale deployments, resource allocation, location systems, etc.) and/or communications (beam forming, coding, interference management, joint communication and radar, etc.). As a member of IMDEA Networks' Wireless Networking Group, the postdoc will be involved in cutting edge research and experimental work as well as close interaction with PhD students.
- Paper in IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking on "Optimal and approximation algorithms for joint routing and scheduling in millimeter-wave cellular networks"
- Paper at ACM Mobisys 2020 on "mm-FLEX: An Open Platform for Millimeter-Wave Mobile Full-Bandwidth Experimentation" received honorable mention (runner-up to the best paper award)
- Paper at IEEE Infocom 2020 on "POLAR: Passive object localization with IEEE 802.11ad using phased antenna arrays"
- Paper at ACM Mobicom 2019 on "MuSher: An Agile Multipath-TCP Scheduler for Dual-Band 802.11ad/ac Wireless LANs"
- Paper in IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications on "Single- and Multiple-Access Point Indoor Localization for Millimeter Wave Networks"
- Dr. Claudio Fiandrino
- Dr. Hany Assasa
- Giulia Attanasio
- Alejandro Blanco
- Dolores Garcia
- Nina Grosheva
- Pablo Jimenez
- Adriana Moreno
- Joan Palacios
- Dr. Amanda Garcia-Garcia, Research Engineer
- Dr. Jesus Omar Lacruz, Research Engineer
- Rafael Ruiz, Research Engineer
- Francisco Javier Hervas Alonso, Project Manager
- LOCalization and analytics on-demand embedded in the 5G ecosystem, for Ubiquitous vertical applicationS (LOCUS), EU project H2020-ICT-2018-2020, November 2019 - April 2022
- European Training Network on MIllimeter-wave NeTworking and Sensing for Beyond 5G (MINTS), EU project H2020-MSCA-ITN-2019, November 2019 - October 2023
- Advanced techniques to enhance the intelligence of 5G networks (TAPIR-CM), regional project Comunidad de Madrid, January 2019 - December 2022
- Accurate, Pervasive and Low-Latency Positioning to Innovate 5G Networks and Beyond (PinPoint 5G+), Spanish national project, January 2019 - December 2021
- Deep Learning for Efficient LoS MIMO Backhaul, Huawei collaboration project, July 2020 - June 2021
- User level traffic prediction in cellular networks, Huawei Innovation Research Program (HIRP) project, November 2019 - October 2020
- A comprehensive Simulation Model for IEEE 802.11 for the ns-3 Network Simulator, project with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), US, September 2019 - August 2020
Associate Editor IEEE Transactions on Transactions on Mobile Computing (2017-)
Editor Elsevier Computer Networks (2017-)
Guest Editor IEEE JSAC Special Issue on "Millimeter-wave Networking"
Associate Editor IEEE Transactions on Communications (2010-2017)
Recent TPC memberships:
- ACM Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (Mobicom) 2020
- IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (Infocom) 2020
- IFIP Networking 2020